Employee self-service is empowering the employees to perform many functions independently without dependence on HR personnel. This technology helps to create a positive work culture and to retain talent by giving workers direct control over their employment information. Employee self-service software, once sold as a stand-alone product, is now included in the HRMS as a package.
What is included in the employee self-service system?
- Employees are given access to update information related to them starting with the name, address, bank details, tax details, investment plans needed by the organization.
- They can update regularly their timesheets and expenses incurred for official purposes. Regularization of attendance is also a self-service offered online.
- They can apply for leave may it be a short one or a vacation, modify the same and get an opportunity to know the approval online.
- They can download payslips, tax-related information.
- They are also allowed to view organization charts.
- Training requests can be raised by the employees online.
- When performance management is conducted employees can update their information and view the manager’s comments and their score.
Thoughtfully designed so that employees serve themselves and without this facility, all of these functions would require employees to ask the HR staff. Employee self-service systems are being optimized for mobile apps are often part of larger employee engagement strategies. These are advertised more on social media-like platforms thus attracting talent on a large scale.
Who is benefitted from this employee self-service?
- This saves time for HR personnel reducing their workload drastically and HR managers can completely focus on issues that require a human touch.
- Employees feel more connected to their organization, happy in their jobs and productive.
- The organization gets error-free updates in its system.
- Another benefit of a self-service portal is that it’s typically cloud-based. Employees can access the portal from anywhere.
The biggest drawback could be of investing in ESS options is the required amount of time taken to ensure that each employee understands how to use the system. The rollout process can cost a company huge amounts of time and money, thereby taking these resources away from regular operations. Encouraging employees to use self-service features whenever possible will save time and help your company get the highest return from the investment in the functionality.